Week 8

SUNDAY – DAY 50 – This morning, I quickly went to Home Depot to get the 12 gallons of paint we will need for the main floor taking advantage of their buy one get one free event.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 50.1

Then, today’s plan was to get right down to business fixing the structural issues of the house before we moved any further. My dad and brother got started removing the wires from the electrical panel and joists making sure to tag each one.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 50.2

Once that was done they were able to cut the structurally compromised joists and remove them entirely.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 50.3

Then they installed 3 brand new joists (in our case, the joists are 2″x8″). And finally got started putting every wire back through the new joists and to the electrical panel. Given the extra surprises we found (5 junction boxes and 1 live wire connection not in a junction box) the process took from about 9:30AM to 5PM. There is still a few electrical issues to be resolved but that will be for another day.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 50.4

While all of this was happening in the basement, I got to put new insulation in the kitchen walls as our electrician completely destroyed the one that was previously there.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 50.5

I also gave the second bedroom its final sand. My mom came by and did a ton of cleaning (vacuuming, picking up, dusting, mopping) which definitely helped a lot. It is great to see this much progress happening at once. We are longing to be in the finishing stages of this renovation.

MONDAY -DAY 51 – Tonight I helped my dad fix the support post in the basement. After installing the 3 new joists, we decided to reuse the support post and insert it in one of the walls to help one of the joists (the one who has the weight of an entire wall on it). It wasn’t technically necessary but it can’t hurt.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 51.1

Then we installed the vapor barrier plastic on the kitchen walls, they are now ready for drywall!

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 51.2

To finish off the night we moved the bathroom light fixture over to the right by 3 inches so that it will be centered with the new vanity we are gonna be putting in.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 51.3

TUESDAY – DAY 52 – Tonight, Lee, my dad and I all met up at the house and started installing the drywall in the kitchen and on the half wall, we didn’t have time to install the panels on the staircase walls but the rest is done.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 52

WEDNESDAY – DAY 53 – Lee was off today and managed to do a bunch of little things around the house such as removing the screws sticking up from the dinning room floor, removing the pantry door, sanding and puttying many areas around the house, removing screws leftover from when we removed the drywall around the tub, charging all of our tool batteries, cleaning and even stopping by Home Depot to pick up brackets which will eventually make installing our new doors a lot easier than the traditional method involving shims.

I had to stay later than usual at work tonight for a meeting but my parents went to the house to help Lee finish installing the drywall on the staircase wall. I joined them as soon as I could. My dad even had the time to put a first coat of drywall compound on the kitchen walls.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 53

THURSDAY – DAY 54 – No progress today.

FRIDAY – DAY 55 – This evening, my dad came over to add a coat of drywall compound on the kitchen walls.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 55.1

He also installed the niche in the shower/tub, it will be so practical to tuck our shampoo bottles, razors, soap bars, etc.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 55.2

In the meantime, my mom and I primed the master bedroom and walk-in ceiling before installing and sealing the vapor barrier on the exterior wall of the tub. Back when this house was built, vapor barrier wasn’t something that was used as a construction standard like it currently is, but I figured that while the wall is open, we may as well add it as it can only help.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 55.3

To finish off the night with something easy and quick, my mom and I cut and installed the strapping on the basement ceiling.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 55.4

SATURDAY – DAY 56 – This morning I put a coat of pain on the master bedroom ceiling as well a primed the second bedroom ceiling. I then moved to the dinning room and started sanding sanding the ceiling.

My dad arrived shortly after and sent me in the attic to help him secure all of the junction boxes for our ceiling lights as none were previously secured, perhaps that wasn’t code back when this house was built… It’s quite the messy job to go up there considering it is insulated with shredded newspapers….

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 56.1

I did make some pretty interesting finds while I was up there… An old videocassette recorder box, a train wagon, an old plastic pants hanger, a tag for Mrs. Larocque and a crib rail where among the interesting items.

AudreeLeeBLog - Week 8 - Day 56.2

There was of course some old wires and junction boxes not connected to anything, which we obviously removed and threw away.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s