SUNDAY – DAY 99 – Today, my brother and dad continued on with the hardwood floor installation (completing the hallway, half of the living room as well as the entire master bedroom and walk-in).
I installed the remainder of the sub-floor in the living room.
I worked on finalizing the installation of the cabinet frames (locking them into place, cutting the hole for the microwave outlet, etc.). I also began installing more of the the doors and drawers that Lee had previously assembled.
I cleaned as many electrical outlets on the main floor as possible making sure there was no dust or paint on or in the sockets and reinstalling the outlets covers at the same time.
MONDAY – DAY 100 – Tonight my brother & I took my mom out for a day late Mother’s Day supper (since she was out of town yesterday). Then she came shopping at Lowe’s with me to get a bunch of random stuff we needed to get ahead such as unmodified thin-set mortar for the tub wall, sealant, silicone, outlet covers, brackets, electrical baseboard heaters, etc.
Meanwhile, my dad and brother finished the end strip of hardwood in the master bedroom, put the last coat of drywall compound on the basement stair wall corner, and got a head start on the living room hardwood. My dad left after a few rows, and my brother stopped around midnight being about halfway done.
TUESDAY – DAY 101 – Lee was off again today so she went to the house to clean up before the appliances delivery. Yep, that’s right, we have appliances!!! She vacuumed, put away and organized all the tools and other stuff that was laying around. The delivery guys showed up while I was on my lunch there with her which was perfect because I got to see how they looked in place. It it so nice to finally be so close to being done and be able to see how everything looks together!
In the afternoon, while I was at work, she sanded, cleaned, primed and painted the staircase walls. One more coat to go tomorrow and we will officially be done painting the main floor (well aside from all the touch ups we need to do).
This evening as we had a ball hockey game, we knew we wouldn’t have much time to work on the house so we settled for making progress in the form of shopping. We went to pick up our vanity from Reno Depot and got rid of all our empty paint cans at their recycling center at the same time. The vanity just barely fit in Lee’s SUV but it’s now at the house waiting to be installed.
While we were playing hockey, my dad went to the house and mowed our front and back lawn for us. Thanks dad!
WEDNESDAY – DAY 102 – This afternoon, Lee went to Bath Depot to order our faucets, two for the main bathroom and one for the basement vanity we will temporarily install until we renovate the basement. She saw some interesting options to say the least….
The three faucet we selected are ordered and will be in next Tuesday. Once back at the house, Lee put the last coat of paint in the staircase walls and installed the remainder of the outlet cover plates.
During the evening we set out to install the waterproof membrane on the tub walls. We were hoping to be able to install both the membrane and the tiles tonight but quickly came to the realization that that wouldn’t be possible. It took us the entire evening to do the membrane but it is done and well done (we are probably Schulter membrane experts now considering how many times we watched the company’s how-to video).
THURSDAY – DAY 103 – No progress today.
FRIDAY – DAY 104 – I sneaked out of work (with permission) for about a half hour this morning to receive our molding/doors/handles delivery. I love the models we selected and can’t wait to see what they look like fully installed.
Tonight, I got started on the wall tiles in our tub/shower. Tiling a wall is definitely very different than tiling a floor, though I’m not yet sure which I find harder…
SATURDAY – DAY 105 – Today was another productive day, before Lee headed to work, we installed the second bedroom door using the brackets we bought to test them out and wow, what a quick simple installation compared to the use of shims, We loved it.It was so much easier and quicker than we thought it would be that we had time to install the master bedroom door and the bathroom door before Lee really needed to go.
Once my dad arrived, we started with the hood range installation this included moving the vent from the outside of the house in order for it to be a little bit lower and perfectly centered with our cabinets, as we only had to move it by a few inches, and we knew what to expect inside the wall as we had opened it to fix the electrical, it was relatively easy to modify it from outside (considering our hood range goes directly outside). We replaced the vinyl strip outside and can’t even tell which one it is looking at the house.
Then we got to work on cutting to size and installing the kitchen counters. We cutout the sink, dropped it in place and connected the drain parts that came separately, we will wait to secure it to the counter until our plumber comes by and drills the hole in it for the faucet.
To finish off the day, we re-installed the walk-in closet mirrored sliding doors.