A few weeks ago I came across this recipe from Sweet Peas and Saffron and I had a short face palm moment… Since Lee doesn’t eat red meat, I automatically assumed stews wouldn’t be part of our menu (as I am used to beef stews) I never realized I could just substitute the beef for chicken…
With the cold weather setting in, we are all about comfort food so I excitedly showed Lee the recipe and she agreed it sounded delicious. Of course Lee isn’t the type of person that follows a recipe, she inevitably will stray from it, adding to it. So here’s her version of the Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Stew.
- 8 medium-sized potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes, drained (or 2 fresh tomatoes, diced)
- 1-3/4 cup of chicken stock
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. of Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 2 tsp. of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. of chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 2-1/2 tbsp. of corn starch mixed in 1/4 cup of water
- Toss the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and tomatoes in the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken stock, garlic and spices (Mrs. Dash, Italian seasoning, cilantro and salt).
- Lay the chicken breasts on top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, combine the corn starch with the water and mix until no lumps remain, add to the slow cooker.
- Shred the chicken with a fork and mix in before serving.
Have you ever made a chicken stew before? What other comfort food is a staple in your house?